Since the semester at school ended I have been focusing on finishing my game, today I got rid of at least 5 issues which has been irritating me:
– Figured out what was causing staircase artifacts in scaled down game windows.
– Added some graphics to be shown while loading.
– Realized that a a screen in the game might need a complete makeover, it currently does not fit the rest of the interface.
– Added text which shows when the game is paused
It is alive!
My blog has its first post, and all is well.
As a first post I’d like to share the current status of my game as well as some interesting CG topics I would like to look into during summer.
My game is called Artifact, and it is an arcade style game. For those who have played Ambrosia Software’s Barrack, my game is very similar, and it was major inspiration for creating this game. The game itself is pretty similar, but introduces some different challenges and a system for better resource management, making the player more in control of the resources he or she has access to.
At this moment the game is fully playable and quite fun. What is left is balancing, and adding sound. The big issue is sound since this is a topic where I have no experience. Hopefully there will be some progress in that domain during summer, so that I can release the game itself this fall or winter.
During this summer I also have some projects that I’d like to finish. During the last semester I implemented a weighted k-means algorithm for creating stipple images. The algorithm was made using GPU through OpenCL for computation. The algorithm worked nicely in Mac OS X, but when transfered to Windows(the assignment used a windows only application) it stopped working properly and instead started crashing when I used above 200 points, though I had tested it on the same graphics card in Mac OS X with 5000 points. Since I had no time to fix it during the semester and I really want to make it work, this summer I will try and create an application to turn any image or animation into a stippled video or animation. I have decided to make it in C++ and QT since I feel I need to be more comfortable with C++.
I also want to test the image space ambient occlusion on some models, and see how well it would function for different types of games.